In 1941, the Kaiser shipyards in Richmond were busy; the workers needed medical care, and once again Kaiser turned to Garfield. However, Garfield was already in uniform, set to go to India as part of the USC-LA County contingent. He offered to help get them started, and meanwhile Ordway went to Washington, DC, and got President Franklin D. Roosevelt to release Garfield from the military for the shipyard work. Although Garfield was uneasy about leaving his USC group, C. J. Berne, MD, past president of the PCSA and his commanding officer, reassured him and urged him to forget the service. Garfield was able to recruit physicians, but he needed a hospital. He found an unused 4-story hospital in Oakland at the corner of Broadway and MacArthur, which had been built in the 1920s as the obstetric wing of Fabiola Hospital. Garfield bought the building, which opened in August 1942 as the Permanente Foundation Hospital. This became the mother hospital of the Kaiser Health Plan; it had 54 beds and was painted pink, Kaiser's favorite color. By the middle of World War II, the plan had 90 physicians caring for 90 000 workers. The payment system was similar to that at the Grand Coulee Dam: 17% of the industrial premium, and voluntary coverage for nonindustrial care and dependents. Although a similar plan was instituted at the Portland shipyards, the Portland physicians, led by PCSA member Tom Joyce, MD, forced Kaiser to build their 75-bed hospital across the river in Vancouver, Wash. Add to this a 60-bed hospital in Fontana, and by late 1944 the Kaiser plan was caring for 200 000 patients in 4 hospitals, with 790 beds. Garfield was in charge of it all—the hospitals, the plan, and the physicians.