Only a few days ago the new Medical School Building of the University of Wisconsin was opened for classes. This occasion marked the final step in a project begun long ago to found a complete course in medicine at Madison. It, therefore, seems a fitting time to look backward to the antecedents of the present school and see what foundations it has been built on.
One has only to go through the buildings of the new school and hospital to realize how well it is equipped for teaching and for research. The medical unit consists of the Service Memorial Institutes Building just completed; the Wisconsin General Hospital, first opened in 1925, and two smaller buildings, the Bradley Memorial Hospital and the Student Infirmary. All these buildings are of similar architecture and situated between University Avenue and Linden Drive. This medical unit links two other scientific departments of the university, for