Mrs. M. C., 34 years old, was admitted to the Presbyterian Hospital on April 19, 1932, and was discharged on April 25, 1932. Her complaint on admission was of a tumor on the anterior surface of the proximal half of the left thigh, present since birth as nearly as she knew, and of varicose veins in the left leg which had been present for about two years.
The tumor on the thigh had always been painless, except when traumatized, as it often was when in her occupation as housewife the patient was cooking or working at a table. These irritations were repeated many times a day until the central portion of the tumor had been worn away, leaving an ulcerated mass about 7 cm. wide in its longest axis surrounded by a raised ring of tissue 3 cm. wide, which near the border was white and hard and blended somewhat