0
We're unable to sign you in at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.
Retry
We were able to sign you in, but your subscription(s) could not be found. Please try again in a few minutes.
Retry
There may be a problem with your account. Please contact the AMA Service Center to resolve this issue.
Contact the AMA Service Center:
Telephone: 1 (800) 262-2350 or 1 (312) 670-7827  *   Email: subscriptions@jamanetwork.com
Error Message ......
ARTICLE |

CAUSE OF SURVIVAL OF DOGS WITHOUT A HEPATIC ARTERY

W. C. EZE, M.A.
AMA Arch Surg. 1952;65(5):684-692. doi:10.1001/archsurg.1952.01260020676006.
Text Size: A A A
Published online

THE HEPATIC artery contributes about 20% of hepatic blood flow, while the portal vein carries the remaining 80%. There is some collateral supply, but under normal conditions this is negligible. Reciprocal variations in the amount of blood carried by either the hepatic artery or the portal vein occur, and Soskin and co-workers1 have observed that this reciprocal variation could be as low as 10% or as high as 90% in either vessel.

Some interesting observations have been made when the liver is supplied by either one of these vessels, the other being tied. Ligation of the portal vein, as in Eck fistula, results in parenchymal fibrosis and considerable reduction in the size of the liver. The dogs, however, do not die, and there is little or no alteration in hepatic function.2 Ligation of all the branches of the hepatic artery is followed in about 100% of cases by

Topics

Sign in

Create a free personal account to sign up for alerts, share articles, and more.

Purchase Options

• Buy this article
• Subscribe to the journal

First Page Preview

View Large
First page PDF preview

First Page Preview

View Large
First page PDF preview

Figures

Tables

References

Correspondence

CME
Also Meets CME requirements for:
Browse CME for all U.S. States
Accreditation Information
The American Medical Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The AMA designates this journal-based CME activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM per course. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. Physicians who complete the CME course and score at least 80% correct on the quiz are eligible for AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM.
Note: You must get at least of the answers correct to pass this quiz.
Your answers have been saved for later.
You have not filled in all the answers to complete this quiz
The following questions were not answered:
Sorry, you have unsuccessfully completed this CME quiz with a score of
The following questions were not answered correctly:
Commitment to Change (optional):
Indicate what change(s) you will implement in your practice, if any, based on this CME course.
Your quiz results:
The filled radio buttons indicate your responses. The preferred responses are highlighted
For CME Course: A Proposed Model for Initial Assessment and Management of Acute Heart Failure Syndromes
Indicate what changes(s) you will implement in your practice, if any, based on this CME course.
Submit a Comment

Multimedia

Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

Sign in

Create a free personal account to sign up for alerts, share articles, and more.

Purchase Options

• Buy this article
• Subscribe to the journal

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging & repositioning the boxes below.

Jobs
brightcove.createExperiences();