We're unable to sign you in at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.
We were able to sign you in, but your subscription(s) could not be found. Please try again in a few minutes.
There may be a problem with your account. Please contact the AMA Service Center to resolve this issue.
Contact the AMA Service Center:
Telephone: 1 (800) 262-2350 or 1 (312) 670-7827  *   Email: subscriptions@jamanetwork.com
Error Message ......
Article |

A Systematic Approach to the Assessment of Aortoiliac Disease

Brian L. Thiele, MD; Dennis F. Bandyk, MD; Robert E. Zierler, MD; D. Eugene Strandness Jr, MD
Arch Surg. 1983;118(4):477-481. doi:10.1001/archsurg.1983.01390040081017.
Text Size: A A A
Published online


• The accurate localization of hemodynamically significant disease in the aortoiliac segment remains a major clinical dilemma that contributes to the less than optimal results reported for aortofemoral bypass grafting in patients with disabling lower limb claudication. We assessed the hemodynamic status of the aortoiliac segment with direct intraarterial pressure measurements obtained prior to arteriography. This served as a basis for determining the role of the femoral pulsatility index (FPI) in evaluating the hemodynamics of the aortoiliac segment. A stepwise decision making algorithm, developed from the results, enabled accurate identification of the location of the hemodynamic disturbance in 94% of the limbs studied. In 62% of the limbs, the FPI could be used, while in the remaining 38%, intra-arterial pressure measurements were used.

(Arch Surg 1983;118:477-481)


Sign in

Purchase Options

• Buy this article
• Subscribe to the journal
• Rent this article ?





Also Meets CME requirements for:
Browse CME for all U.S. States
Accreditation Information
The American Medical Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The AMA designates this journal-based CME activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM per course. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. Physicians who complete the CME course and score at least 80% correct on the quiz are eligible for AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM.
Note: You must get at least of the answers correct to pass this quiz.
Please click the checkbox indicating that you have read the full article in order to submit your answers.
Your answers have been saved for later.
You have not filled in all the answers to complete this quiz
The following questions were not answered:
Sorry, you have unsuccessfully completed this CME quiz with a score of
The following questions were not answered correctly:
Commitment to Change (optional):
Indicate what change(s) you will implement in your practice, if any, based on this CME course.
Your quiz results:
The filled radio buttons indicate your responses. The preferred responses are highlighted
For CME Course: A Proposed Model for Initial Assessment and Management of Acute Heart Failure Syndromes
Indicate what changes(s) you will implement in your practice, if any, based on this CME course.


Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

0 Citations

Sign in

Purchase Options

• Buy this article
• Subscribe to the journal
• Rent this article ?

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging & repositioning the boxes below.