We're unable to sign you in at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.
We were able to sign you in, but your subscription(s) could not be found. Please try again in a few minutes.
There may be a problem with your account. Please contact the AMA Service Center to resolve this issue.
Contact the AMA Service Center:
Telephone: 1 (800) 262-2350 or 1 (312) 670-7827  *   Email: subscriptions@jamanetwork.com
Error Message ......
Article |

Pregnancy as a Predisposing Factor in Thyroid Neoplasia

Irving B. Rosen, MD; Paul G. Walfish, MD
Arch Surg. 1986;121(11):1287-1290. doi:10.1001/archsurg.1986.01400110077013.
Text Size: A A A
Published online


• Thirty patients were assessed with thyroid neoplasia arising during pregnancy, predominantly in the third trimester, and manifesting preeminently with a solitary nodule. Despite appropriate thyroid treatment, 20% of the patients showed marked increase in nodular growth during pregnancy. Needle aspiration biopsy specimens were obtained for most patients but disclosed cancer in only 50% of relevant patients, although cellularity was revealed in the remaining patients. Twenty-six operations were performed, two in the second trimester and 24 post partum. There was a 43% incidence of cancer and a 37% incidence of adenoma, for a total neoplasia rate of 80%. Surgery had no major morbidity or complications; one woman who received thyroid feeding throughout her pregnancy delivered a stillborn child. Thyroid neoplasia associated with pregnancy appears to have a higher incidence of cancer, and its course may be aggravated by pregnancy. Needle biopsy and clinical assessment permit the appropriate selection of patients with thyroid cancer for surgery, which can be done safely either during the second trimester of pregnancy or post partum.

(Arch Surg 1986;121:1287-1290)


Sign in

Purchase Options

• Buy this article
• Subscribe to the journal
• Rent this article ?





Also Meets CME requirements for:
Browse CME for all U.S. States
Accreditation Information
The American Medical Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The AMA designates this journal-based CME activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM per course. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. Physicians who complete the CME course and score at least 80% correct on the quiz are eligible for AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM.
Note: You must get at least of the answers correct to pass this quiz.
Please click the checkbox indicating that you have read the full article in order to submit your answers.
Your answers have been saved for later.
You have not filled in all the answers to complete this quiz
The following questions were not answered:
Sorry, you have unsuccessfully completed this CME quiz with a score of
The following questions were not answered correctly:
Commitment to Change (optional):
Indicate what change(s) you will implement in your practice, if any, based on this CME course.
Your quiz results:
The filled radio buttons indicate your responses. The preferred responses are highlighted
For CME Course: A Proposed Model for Initial Assessment and Management of Acute Heart Failure Syndromes
Indicate what changes(s) you will implement in your practice, if any, based on this CME course.


Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

0 Citations

Sign in

Purchase Options

• Buy this article
• Subscribe to the journal
• Rent this article ?

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging & repositioning the boxes below.