We're unable to sign you in at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.
We were able to sign you in, but your subscription(s) could not be found. Please try again in a few minutes.
There may be a problem with your account. Please contact the AMA Service Center to resolve this issue.
Contact the AMA Service Center:
Telephone: 1 (800) 262-2350 or 1 (312) 670-7827  *   Email: subscriptions@jamanetwork.com
Error Message ......
Article |

Management of Infected Aortoiliac Aneurysms

Daniel J. Reddy, MD; Alexander D. Shepard, MD; James R. Evans, MD; Dennis J. Wright, MD; Roger F. Smith, MD; Calvin B. Ernst, MD
Arch Surg. 1991;126(7):873-879. doi:10.1001/archsurg.1991.01410310083012.
Text Size: A A A
Published online


• A 30-year retrospective review identified 13 patients treated for infected aneurysms of the abdominal aorta or iliac arteries, for an overall incidence of 0.65%. A constellation of clinical findings led to the correct preoperative diagnosis in 11 (85%) of 13 patients. Treatment methods included resection and in situ replacement grafting in seven patients, resection and extra-anatomic bypass in five patients, and resection-ligation in one patient. Four (31%) of 13 patients died within 30 days of operation, three of whom died of rupture. Overall, good results were achieved in five patients (38%), while poor results were noted in the remaining eight patients (62%). The determinants of outcome were aneurysm location or rupture, the presence of established infection, and the virulence of the infecting organism. In 10 (77%) of the 13 aneurysms, Salmonella species, Bacteroides fragilis, Staphylococcus aureus, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa accounted for all deaths, ruptures, and suprarenal aneurysm infections. These data suggest that patients with primary infections of the abdominal aorta or iliac arteries continue to present with advanced infections or aneurysm rupture that result in a high mortality.

(Arch Surg. 1991;126:873-879)


Sign in

Purchase Options

• Buy this article
• Subscribe to the journal
• Rent this article ?





Also Meets CME requirements for:
Browse CME for all U.S. States
Accreditation Information
The American Medical Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The AMA designates this journal-based CME activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM per course. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. Physicians who complete the CME course and score at least 80% correct on the quiz are eligible for AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM.
Note: You must get at least of the answers correct to pass this quiz.
Please click the checkbox indicating that you have read the full article in order to submit your answers.
Your answers have been saved for later.
You have not filled in all the answers to complete this quiz
The following questions were not answered:
Sorry, you have unsuccessfully completed this CME quiz with a score of
The following questions were not answered correctly:
Commitment to Change (optional):
Indicate what change(s) you will implement in your practice, if any, based on this CME course.
Your quiz results:
The filled radio buttons indicate your responses. The preferred responses are highlighted
For CME Course: A Proposed Model for Initial Assessment and Management of Acute Heart Failure Syndromes
Indicate what changes(s) you will implement in your practice, if any, based on this CME course.


Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

0 Citations

Sign in

Purchase Options

• Buy this article
• Subscribe to the journal
• Rent this article ?

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging & repositioning the boxes below.